Andover Senior Center
April 24, 2020
Members, Community Partners and Friends,
It has been a month since we closed the Center. It does feel much longer than a month and I know that most of you would agree. We are fortunate to have a community, city and county support our endeavors; even as they change and grow daily. The Senior Center has continued to weather the storm because we have support and individuals who truly care about the well-being of our community’s seniors and elders. This alone deserves recognition and tremendous gratitude. The Board and I have been working very hard to ensure that needs are met with an immediate response. The Center belongs to our members. It has been inspiring to see so many of you partner with us to ensure our seniors are safe, have access to healthy lunches daily and have the protection they need when going out into the community for necessary reasons.
Though the Center is currently closed to the public, there has been a lot happening inside that you might not be aware of:
- The Andover City Council has approved our annual city grant. We will be receiving $3500.00 by the end of the month. The Board and I are grateful for this support and will use the funds to best serve our seniors. I would encourage the Center members and families to send a thank you card or email to the city for supporting us.
- The Butler County Department of Aging first quarter funding came this week! This funding is vital to our center and I know we are fortunate to receive this funding.
- We have distributed paper and cloth homemade masks to several of our members. There are several ladies working to ensure these are available to those who need them most.
- We have continued to deliver meals to the homebound Seniors we serve. Additionally, we have kept the same volunteer drivers that our Seniors are used to seeing every week. I am grateful for their dedication and true servant spirit they display week after week.
- Ben and Bill rededicated the pool table and it has been recovered with beautiful emerald felt.
- Sandra Keck donated a brand new 55” inch Smart TV that will be utilized frequently for entertainment, education and exercise.
- Bill Stunkle repainted our outdoor benches to assist in preparing the Center for Spring.
- One of our Charter Members, Treescapes graciously donated material and labor to renovate the landscaping around the perimeter of our building! The Sturmer family, along with our chef Margit Gibbons donated their time to assist in the project. I will be sharing pictures next week on Facebook and in the May newsletter. Yes…you read that correctly. A May newsletter will be emailed out Monday, April 27th which will include the first two weeks of May’s menu!
Finally, we would like to thank those who have donated monetarily. We are inspired and grateful for the outreach of support. Your donation helps offset the cost of weekly grocery expenses. We serve 25-35 to go meals and deliver to 8 homebound individuals Monday – Friday. Each week we plan at least 2 salads, fresh vegetables and fruit into our menus. The cost of produce greatly increases our grocery bill but are vital for nutrition. Margit, Karen, Erin and Kelli enjoy planning meals as a team. Remember, anyone can order a lunch and pickup is at 11:30 am daily. Each lunch is a suggested donation of $5.00. You do not have to be a senior to order a lunch. Please consider us an option!
ASC Board of Directors ASC Director, Kelli Larose
About the Senior Center
The Andover Senior Center mission is to sponsor good fellowship and wholesome recreation for anyone who has reached the age of 50 or better. Annual membership dues are a suggested donation of $12.00 per year. Membership Application
General Membership Meetings are the 3rd Friday of the month at 11 am. Lunch will be served at 11:30 am. Please see the section on regular activities for more information.
We have special events each month such as educational speakers, monthly updates on safety from the Andover Chief of Police and fundraisers which includes great food, fellowship and fun.
We have free WiFi!
Some of our activities include:
Come, have fun and enjoy all that we have to offer.