April 30, 2022 9:45 PM
Frequently Asked Questions
If I need help or have been impacted, where can I go?
The Andover Community Center (1008 E. 13th St. in Andover) is no longer open. If you have been impacted by the 4.29.22 tornado and need supplies, help, etc. please call 211.
If you need to get in contact with Red Cross, please call 1-800-RED-CROSS.
If I want to donate a physical item, where can I take it?
Clothes, shoes, towels, houseware, and blankets can be taken to ANY Goodwill. We have an agreement with Goodwill, and they will provide people with vouchers to shop for those items if they need them.
o Please call the Kansas Food Bank (316-265-3663) or the Andover Food Bank (316-733-1644) to describe your donation and arrange to deliver.
• Basic needs supplies and hygiene items:
o Items are not currently needed at this time due to generous donations from area agencies and companies.
You can call 211 to inform us with what you have to offer the community.
Where can I donate money?
Visit unitedwayplains.org/disaster-relief-fund website to donate online.
The following methods can also be used:
• Text “teamwork” (one word, no spaces) to 41444 to give on the go from your phone.
• Mail a check, payable to United Way of the Plains with “Disaster Relief Fund” in the memo, to 245 N. Water St., Wichita, KS 67202.
• Corporate donations can be arranged with Anne Chandler, Vice President of Philanthropy. Contact her at email@example.com or (316) 267-1321 ext. 4213.
For funds dedicated to the Prairie Creek School, the Andover Foundation has set up a link: https://fundandoverschools.org/
What about debris?
If you have tree limbs/green waste, you may put it on your curb and the City will pick up on Monday, May 23.
What should I do if I’ve been impacted and have Wichita Water?
Andover residents who utilize City of Wichita water utilities and have property that has to be demolished due to Friday's tornado should call (316) 265-1300 to arrange for the City of Wichita Public Works and Utilities to shut off and remove their water meter. This will ensure no water loss occurs and no further billing takes place at that location.
What about packages trying to be delivered to impacted areas?
The City has made contact with the Andover Post Office, Fed Ex, UPS, and Amazon to develop a plan for all residents in the affected areas to receive their mail/packages.
• The Andover Post Office will be holding all undeliverable mail/packages until the resident picks up or provides forwarding info.
• Starting Friday, May 6, FED EX will have all deliveries that were unable to be made, due to storm damage, delivered to Andover Police Department at 909 N. Andover Rd. Residents will need some type of identifying information to pick up their packages.
• We are still waiting on guidance from Amazon.
• Folks can take care of this on their own by calling the carrier when they get notice a package it trying to be delivered. At that time they should contact their carrier if they want it to go somewhere other than the above mentioned locations.
What if I lost something or I found something that might be someone else’s?
As clean up continues throughout the city, displaced momentous items are being found and not claimed by the owners. The Andover Police Department has developed a collection system for small or medium sized momentous items from the April 29, 2022 Tornado. Collection site is located at The Andover Police Department (909 N. Andover Rd.).
Once you arrive in the parking lot of the Police Department, call the non-emergency line (316) 733-5177 ext. 0 and request for an Officer to meet you for found momentous items from Friday night’s tornado. The Officer will ask you your name, phone number and location where you found the items.
Found animals will not be accepted and will need to be taken to Countryside Pet Clinic.
I want to help, where can I go?
We currently do not have any upcoming volunteer workdays planned. Please continue to check the City of Andover’s Facebook page for any updates as time goes on.
What if I need a new birth certificate, marriage license, driver’s license?
More information can be found online at:
What are City Hours?
• Normal hours - 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday
• Library hours - normal business hours
• Central Park – normal hours
What if I have reserved the lodge?
We are currently working through the reservations we had for the lodge and contacting them for refunds.
I am feeling overwhelmed, who can I call just to talk?
You can call South Central Mental Health Crisis Line at 855-773-6686 any time and ask for “Crisis Support.”
Will we receive any support from FEMA?
While FEMA is very visible in large-scale disasters across the country, there are also many disasters that occur each year that never qualify for their help. In each disaster, there are thresholds that must be met before the governor can request a disaster declaration from the federal government. Those thresholds look at the number of homes impacted, and also the amount of uninsured loss. If a high percentage of impacted residents have good insurance coverage, then those thresholds aren’t met and FEMA assistance is not possible.
The state of Kansas has reviewed our damage numbers and found that the April 29 tornado will not meet the levels required for the governor to request Individual Assistance through FEMA.
While we continue to look for other ways to bring help into the area, the best pathway to support the victims of this tornado is through financial donations to the United Way.
Where can I go for the latest updates?
Please follow our social media page, City of Andover, KS
How do I get a “Stand with Andover” sign for my business or yard?
Yard signs are available while inventory lasts at the Andover Chamber of Commerce and City Hall during normal business hours.
What nonprofits and businesses are helping?
There are multiple places helping in addition to United Way, Red Cross, and Salvation Army. Here is a list of places to check out:
● Andover Baptist Church has food, water, bathroom facilities, tarps, trash bags, buckets, gloves and many other services. Please let them help you if they can.
● Ashley (10711 West 21st Street, Wichita, KS) is giving free mattresses and basic home necessities to help their neighbors start the recovery. Please visit AHSWichita.com/Andover to submit contact information.
● Bob & Luigi’s Andover is feeding those working or who lost their homes for free. They also have a drop-off collection for money and other items that we will take to charities working with the victims.
● Bubbas 33 is donating 10% of every meal if the event is mentioned for recovery efforts.
● Compass Nutrition will donate all tips to relief efforts starting May 2nd.
● Countryside Pet Clinic and Resort have offered assistance boarding pets.
● Funky Monkeys Shaved Ice North is donating 50% of sales.
● Healing Waters is offering one of their locker rooms for individual showers or family showers at no cost to the families affected by the tornado and who do not have water.
● Keto On with Kerri. In an effort to help support those affected by the Tornado, they will donate 10% of all online orders when mentioned in notes during checkout “Andover Tornado Relief”.
● Northrock Hospital for Animals have offered assistance boarding pets.
● Razor Smooth Barber. For the month of May, they will be donating 10% of all sales to Andover tornado relief funds. This includes product sales and gift cards!! As always, appointments are available online! www.Vagaro.com/razorsmoothbarber
● Store in a Wink. If you or any of your loved ones were affected by the storms, they’re offering 50% off the first two months’ rent, plus $50 credit on u-haul truck rental to move items here to store.
● Vision Care Direct. If you or your loved ones lost your glasses during the storms, we would like to buy you a new pair of prescription glasses, even if you don’t have one of their vision plans. Please DM them for more info.
● Wichita Sports Forum have offered to help with kids while parents cleaned up. Drop your kids off free of charge.
● Woof’s Play & Stay is providing a free place to stay for dogs impacted by the storm
And many more! Be sure to call 211 if you are in need of something specific.